Many people live with a mindset of scarcity which shows up in their lives as a lack of wealth, success or opportunity. Much of this is driven by advertisers and the media in general. We are encouraged to consume more than we need.
Even when we do have enough, we’re encouraged to get a better car, better clothes, or more money, just to impress the neighbours. No wonder we always feel like there’s never enough for everyone!
Move your mindset from one of scarcity to one of abundance with these strategies:
If you have a scarcity mindset you probably have a short term perspective. If you regularly find yourself preoccupied with being entertained, you might have a scarcity mindset. Enjoy it now while it lasts sort of thing. Overeating and overspending can be symptoms of a scarcity mindset. “Better spend it now before it’s gone”.
- Be grateful for what you have already. When you see that you have enough, and you can get more of what you need when you need it, you won’t be so worried about losing what you have now. You have a mindset of plenty.
- Avoid complainers. People who complain a lot have a scarcity mindset. They see problems everywhere but no solutions. You’re more susceptible to the mindset of others than you think. Surround yourself with positive people at work and in your life. There are so many people in the world, why spend time with those that make your life harder?
- Visualize an exciting future. Instead of worrying about what you might lose, Develop positive feelings about the future. Look forward to the future rather than fear it.
- Avoid wasting time. By taking part in frivolous activities, you waste your most valuable resource – your time. Value your time and you’ll have more of it.
- Keep a journal. Keep it positive. List the things in your life that make you feel grateful. Write down your goals, achievements and aspirations. Be sure to remember the people who have helped you in your journey and those you would like to help. Remember, a life worth living is a life worth sharing.
- Get organised. Getting yourself organized around your goals and your life will make it a lot easier to move from a scarcity mindset to an abundance mindset. It will free up more of your time and reduce the stress of worrying about what to do next, or what to do with your day. When you realize that you have more space to think and time than you thought, you’ll think much more abundantly.
- Be generous. By sharing your time and talents with other you will become convinced there is enough for everyone. The more you’re willing to share, the more others are willing to share with you. That includes sharing your time.
The first step to having more success and abundance is believing that there is more than enough resources for everyone. When you have a scarcity mindset, you become defensive and protective.
You also create the false belief that everything will be a greater challenge than it is. When you imagine that something is difficult, you’re more likely to procrastinate or discourage yourself altogether.
An abundance mindset won’t magically place a Mercedes in your garage or add few zeros to your bank account. However, an abundance mindset will allow you to move forward enthusiastically to make the changes you need to make in your life.